- It is a safe and proven procedure that corrects vision in the majority of cases – generally held to be 96% of patients. Vision is usually improved to 20/40, and 85 per cent of patients get back 20/20 vision.
- Vision is improved almost immediately or, at least, within twenty-four hours of the surgery.
- The laser equipment used is guided by a computer, assuring you that Lasik is a very precise and accurate procedure.
- There is a very minimal amount of pain. Numbing drops are used during surgery and any itching and discomfort afterwards is generally short-lived.
- There is fast recovery. It is safe for you to drive the next day to your surgeon's follow-up check.
- No bandages or stitches are required, so all normal activities can be resumed upon completed recovery – usually with twenty-four hours.
While it may take a few weeks for your vision to fully adjust, the results are permanent although your prescription can still change over time. In most cases corrective glasses or contacts are no longer needed. Indeed, peripheral vision actually improves after dispensing with glasses. Any continuing need for glasses is mostly for night driving when glare can affect focusing, although many people find that night time vision is enhanced after Lasik surgery. Other benefits LASIK offers include:
- Up-front costs are quite possibly offset by eliminating or, at least, reducing the need for continual investment in corrective eyewear due to prescriptions changing.
- Follow-up procedure is only necessary if you find the initial correction is not entirely adequate or if your eyesight changes slightly on aging. Further adjusting surgery is possible in such cases.
- Doing sports is more comfortable and safer after Lasik surgery.
Everybody's eyes are not the same and the benefits of Lasik surgery can vary substantially from one person to another. Consult with a Lasik surgery clinic to determine if the procedure is ideal for you.